Appleton’s Dictionary of Greater New York And Its Neighborhood (1905):
Long practically a part of the great metropolis, the former city of Brooklyn became, Jan. 1, 1898, a division of the “Greater New York.” It is situated on the western end of Long Island, south and east of Manhattan Island, from which it is separated by the East River. At the time of its consolidation with the other boroughs Brooklyn was the fourth city of United States in population, and fourth also in manufacturing and commerce…Originally settled by the Dutch and afterward by New England people, it has been for years drawing to itself that portion of the population of the great city who have drifted hither from the eastern states and who have given to it a conservative character quite in keeping with their puritanical origin. Brooklyn, unlike old New York, is not cosmopolitan, it presents itself to the beholder as a pleasant but rather quiet city…As a place of residence , Brooklyn has many advantages. The greater part of it is considerably elevated above tide-water; the streets are wide and for the most part are at right angles with each other, affording a fine circulation of air. Rents are much lower than in Manhattan. The air, however, especially on [Brooklyn] Heights, is very strong and persons with weak lungs or throat disease will do well to avoid this part of Brooklyn.
maps: Map of the city of Brooklyn, and village of Williamsburgh (1846) & “The city of Brooklyn” Atlas of Long Island (1873)